LIFT technique is the novel modified approach through the intersphincteric plane for the treatment of fistula-in-ano, known as LIFT (ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract) procedure.
Essential steps of the procedure include, incision at the intersphincteric groove, identification of the intersphincteric tract, ligation of intersphincteric tract close to the internal opening and removal of intersphincteric tract, scraping out all granulation tissue in the rest of the fistulous tract, and suturing of the defect at the external sphincter muscle.
The procedure was developed by Thai colorectal surgeon, Arun Rojanasakul, Colorectal Division Department of Surgery, Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Identify the internal opening
- Incision at intersphincteric groove
- Dissection through intersphincteric plane to find intersphincteric fistula tract
- Secure suture ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract
- Remove the fistula tract
- Curette fistula tract from external opening
- Suture closure of external sphincter muscle defect
- Closure of intersphincteric wound